Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Truth be Told

I know it's been a few days since this weekend was over, but I've been waiting for the aftershocks to wear off. While they haven't yet, I will go ahead and update you.

In continuation from where I left off with my last quick update, we met about an hour afterwards in the lobby with backpacks full of everything we needed for the trip. We passed by my friend Howey as we were leaving (who knew that I liked Jason) and I told him what we were doing. His response was "Oooohh! Don't do anything I wouldn't do!". Jason and I looked at each other and laughed, then started walking towards the bus terminal.

When we got on the bus, we were the only ones on it aside from an elderly couple. The ride there was pretty quiet. We each played our individual games on our phones and listened to my iPod, each sharing an earpiece. I've mentioned before that we have a very similar taste of music. Usually when I'm listening to my iPod with people I have to skip some songs because they embarrass me, but I never had to do that with him. He even liked my Libera songs.

When we got to the beach, we were dropped off at this major shopping area. It was late and most things were closed, but we managed to go in a few shops and this amusement park-type building. In it we did a lot of activities that were aimed at little kids, but we had a great time. Afterwards we went to this sort-of expensive restaurant. I noticed that my money was going fast, and I hadn't even found a hotel yet.

After we ate, we began walking back towards the downtown area where all the hotels were. Surprisingly, this was a much longer walk than we expected. At one point we walked through this really dark neighborhood, in which we began hearing voices coming from the woods. Both of us were a little freaked out. Then, as we walked by a bush, something began moving inside it. I grabbed onto Jason's shoulder and he jumped towards me. Later we discovered the thing in the bush was probably a squirrel and the voices were from a concert in the distance. But whatever the case, we were happy to finally get downtown after about an hour of walking.

It took a few tries, but we finally found a hotel with a really good rate. I was hoping we would get "stuck" in a room with only one bed, but this one had two queens. The lady at the front desk was extremely nice, and didn't charge us the usual security deposit because we didn't "seem like the type of boys to trash the room". She also said she would put us in a room with no one around. I didn't think of it until Jason said something about it, but we assume she meant if we were going to "do anything", we could do it in private.

When we got to the room, we put our stuff down and then went to walk out on the beach. It was almost 1am, but we weren't very tired. Plus, the bus driver scheduled us a bus back at 7pm on Saturday, as opposed to 1pm as we had planned. So we had plenty of time to sleep in a little. It was a situation that could have been romantic, but neither of us did anything to suggest we wanted it to be that way. We went back to the room and fell asleep pretty quickly.

We woke up at 7:30 (him) and 8:00 (me) to take showers. Afterwards we put on our swimsuits and headed out to the ocean. It was really cold and windy, but we decided to give the water a try anyways. Surprisingly, it was warmer than outside of the water. I left my shirt on, but Jason took his off. In a way I wanted to jump on his back or something, just playing around, but it was too cold for that so we just floated there shivering until we had both had enough and got out. We went back to the room, changed, packed up our stuff, and checked out of the hotel.

To sum up the not-so-important part of the day, we walked around downtown, had lunch, played in the arcade and competed to see who could win the most tickets (he did), then took a cab back to the shopping center at about 2pm. At one point, his mom called and he pretended to be sitting in the dorm room. He felt really bad about lying to her, but felt like he wasn't doing anything wrong at the same time.

Once at the shopping center we went in as many shops as possible. We tried on funny clothes and hats and just had an all together good time. But at about 5pm, we had been in every shop there was yet we still had 2 hours before the cab came. Neither of us were hungry enough to go pay a lot of money for a meal, so we settled for smoothies instead.

We sat on a bench together, and to pass time together I "happened" to have a Truth or Dare app on my phone. So we played. A lot of questions were just stupid, but there were a few dirty ones. My ultimate goal was to get something out of him to convince me he was gay. Then it came...

"Have you ever fantasized about an authority figure? Explain."

He began to say skip it, but then started laughing.

Me: Well, you have to tell me now.
Jason: It was a teacher.
Me: Go on....
Jason: No... that's all you need to know (still laughing)
Me: It said explain, now do it!
Jason: Nahh, next question.
Me: Fine. (begins to take my turn)
Jason: The worst part was, he was married.

Wait....what did he just say?? I was almost certain he said "he", but could have been mistaken. I didn't ask, but I gave him a look acknowledging what he said.

On the bus ride back, we continued the game. After a few questions I got more confirmation about him with a question about his first kiss. He was in a month long relationship with a guy, but they broke up because they weren't right for each other (the guy was a "bad boy"). He told me I was the first friend he had ever told that he was gay.

My heart was racing. I was so happy to find out he was gay, it made the whole trip seem worth it even though nothing really happened between us other than growing closer in our friendship. I had not even begun this friendship assuming he was gay, I just thought we were a lot alike and he was attractive. But now, he was so much more.

Our conversation continued, and we talked a lot about how we felt about guys. It was really good to see him open up. I just wish it had happened sooner.

When we got back to college, we walked around until we found one restaurant open and had dinner, as a way to "end a great weekend". We went back to the dorm and said our goodbyes. We planned to get dinner together Sunday as well. I slept really well that night.

Now, this was only the first part of the weekend. Wait until you hear what happened Sunday, it may be what you have been waiting for. But I will save that for the next entry. I think you've heard enough for now ;)


1 comment:

  1. This is exactly what you need!!! So happy for you right now, congrats